The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Many woman suffer from vaginal prolapse – a common condition where the bladder, uterus and or bowel protrudes into the vagina. This can cause symptoms such as a sensation of a vaginal lump, constipation, difficulty emptying the bowel or bladder or problems with sexual intercourse. In order to fix this problem, surgery is typically performed and a mesh is used to support the vagina or uterus. Below is an example of how this is done:

Unfortunately, many women who have had this procedure are having very significant injuries as a result of defective mesh products. The FDA has several reports regarding this issue, and they have removed products which have not been approved for sale and surgery. Some of the problems reported with the use of transvaginal mesh include: include mesh erosion through the vagina (also called exposure, extrusion or protrusion), pain, infection, bleeding, pain during sexual intercourse (dyspareunia), organ perforation, and urinary problems

These conditions can be very serious so before you have such a surgery, do your research and ask questions. Talk to your doctor. Make sure this is the right device for you.


  1. Gravatar for Shirley Cole

    What do I do to fix the problem? I havd the prolasp surgery in Jan 2008. I have had problems with bladder infections and pain during intercourse, blood in my urin. My Dr. even said it had eroded into my vagina so she went back in and cut that part away. I still have had problems. but tried to live with it, but I have another urinary tract infection and have been on antiboitics and it has not help. Now I am having very bad stomache pain most of the time. Please help me know what I need to do. I talked with my regular Dr. she has said that I probably need to have the mesh takin out.

  2. Gravatar for Jon Lewis

    Mrs. Cole, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I would be glad to point you in the direction of a physician who might could assist you. If you need to contact me directly, you may e-mail at or call at (205) 254-3927 or (888) 295-7409.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest