Before You Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
Choosing the right attorney to represent you is a very important decision.
Here is a list of questions that a client should ask an attorney before they hire him/her.
- How long have you been practicing in the specific field of accident and injury law?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to accident and injury law?
- Have you previously represented people with injuries similar to mine?
- Do you have investigators and expert witnesses who will help in cases with my type of injury?
- Can you help me with my property damage claim and get a rental car for me?
- Will you handle my case on a percentage fee basis?
- If I can’t come to your office, will you come to my home or office?
- Will you discuss my case with me over the telephone?
- Are you a member of the Alabama Association for Justice?
- Are you a member of the American Association for Justice?
- Have you ever defended insurance companies against injury claims?
- Will you evaluate my case for me without cost or obligations?
- If the insurance company doesn’t offer a fair settlement, are you willing to take my case to trial?
- Have you won any trials?
- Do you have any references?
- Are you licensed in any other states?
- Have you given any seminars or taught any CLE courses?
- What is your participation in the organizations you belong to?
- Are you Certified in any areas?
There are many attorneys to choose from. With television, yellow pages, billboards, and internet, you can go nuts looking at all the information. Some attorneys never go to court. Some are just businessmen in a sense. That doesn’t make them bad attorneys, but you need to know that before you employ your lawyer.
The most important thing for you to remember when choosing an attorney is that you will spend significant time with this person/firm while your case is pending. You are a team, and you need to work together toward the common goal of obtaining adequate compensation for your case. You have to be comfortable with your attorney, and your attorney needs to be comfortable with you. Keep that in mind while you are making this important decision.